Longmont’s Heart of Longmont Methodist Church is profoundly rooted in the Longmont community. From the early settlers and subsequent Chicago Colorado Colony, to the present day, the Methodist Church has provided a place of worship for the community.
Local pioneers, with ministerial guidance from Circuit Riders, held services in their cabins and later in the schoolhouse. The area was first served by the St. Vrain Circuit, and later the Burlington Circuit.
In the spring of 1871, when Longmont was founded, these Methodists discontinued their Burlington services, and convened their first Quarterly Conference. R.J.Van Valkenburg was serving the Circuit at the time and is formally credited with delivering the first sermon in Longmont history; likewise Longmont’s first Sunday School was conducted under his guidance.
Services were held in Library Hall until a building could be completed in 1872. The first church building, of two-storied frame construction, doubled as a business establishment. Services were held in the upstairs hall- the lower floor was rented out for business. (Of no small surprise, many of the early entrepreneurial Methodist pioneers became established leaders in the business community.) The early building burned in the 1880’s, but by then had been sold and a new church constructed.
(To be continued!)
2021 marks the 150th year of the Methodist Church in Longmont. Celebrations are being planned through out the year. Historic information will be shared in Pulse articles and at church services. The 150th Anniversary committee plans an interesting and exciting year.