Need ideas for items to have available to hand out to someone in need?
Here is a list of items that can be easily carried in your car in a watertight gallon-size zipper lock plastic bag. Blessing Bag items to include are:
- Bottle of water *
- Tuna and crackers or easy-open chili, Vienna sausages, etc
- Granola Bar or cereal bar
- Fruit snack or applesauce cup
- Crackers with peanut butter or cheese
- Gift certificate to fast food
- Hand wipes
- Hand/Feet warmers
- Pack of tissue
- Maxi pads
- Toothbrush and toothpaste (do NOT provide mouthwash that contains alcohol)
- Nail clippers
- Band Aids
- Comb or small brush
- Mints or gum
- Cough drops
- Note of encouragement or uplifting Bible verse
- * Be mindful of carrying/handing out bottled water during the winter (as it freezes)
WHEN YOU GIVE CARE KITS AWAY …
Don’t be in a hurry. It’s okay to slip it out your window to someone on a street corner or freeway ramp. But consider taking time to park the car and hand-deliver it.
Smile. This person probably gets ignored by hundreds of people every day.
Make eye contact. It shows that the person matters.
Don’t give money. It’s your decision, of course, but we generally discourage giving cash. It does NOT help the efforts of local agencies providing support to the homeless.
Pray. Before you go, while you go, for the people you encounter. Ask the person if they would like you to pray for them right there.
Offer resources. Our church office has fliers available with contact information about the local agencies who can help.
Be wise. The majority of homeless men and women are not dangerous — they’re people just like you…